Sunday, 13 November 2011

Advertising task- beginning the animatic part 2

Yesterday, I posted the first part of the animatic I have been working on this weekend, and promised to post the full piece once complete. Sorry to disappoint, but it's not complete yet! I did however learn some new techniques today working on the next scene, so I felt it would be best to keep on top of things and do another interim post.

This time, it's the infamous (well, at uni anyway!) 'WATTA!' scene- where Bruce Lee holds the bottle up to the camera in true martial arts style.


This short video featured a few firsts for me. Surprisingly, this is actually my first time animating lip-sync, drawing frames that will match the 'WATTA!' audio. Secondly, I was able to make use of a basic, yet interesting nonetheless, tool within Adobe After Effects; the puppet pin tool!

As with my previous animatic video, the animation comprises of separate PNG images positioned in 3D space. In-keeping with the desired motion comic style, I was conscious to limit the traditional animation, yet at the same time not become too reliant on After Effects. The face was pure 2D animation, created in Photoshop. In fact, Bruce Lee's body and head is actually a video file imported to the composition, as with the wobbly blue background. The hands (plus bottles), speech bubble and the shirt rope are all images layered in front and animated in After Effects to match.

  



 (Above: a selection of the assets used).

The hands, being on separate layers to the body, were moved and enlarged independently to create the impression that they move towards/away from the camera. For the shirt rope, puppet pins were added at each of the 'segments', key-framed at different positions to create a smooth animation. Keeping the principles of animation in mind, I added a small bounce to the rope as it is pulled taut, giving the impression that the material has some elasticity and is not completely rigid.

Once again, I am very pleased with the results of this animatic scene. The techniques used will be easily transferred to our final advert, and the experience has left me feeling more confident and competent using After Effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment