Initially, there were a good number of different things I had hoped to achieve during SS1 through separate dedicated micro projects. Time is a severely limiting factor however, and I struggled at first to pick which of my planned micro projects I would progress with. I knew that I would have time to comfortably complete two, maybe three of them at a stretch.
With insufficient time to address these projects individually, it made sense to combine certain aspects from my original plans such that I will be employing various different techniques within each micro project.
Micro project 1: Creating a foam latex build-up puppet
- Construct professional armature (seek advice from/collaborate with jewellery students)
- Build foam latex build-up puppet around armature
- Rig and animate puppet with a green screen, using MILO for camera movement
- Collaborate with VFX student to digitally extend the set and remove rigging
Micro project 2: Creating a character bust to practice lip sync
- Create character bust with Super Sculpey
- Create a mould for making replacement mouths
- Cast Plasticine replacement mouths and manually add individual expressions
- Animate lip sync test(s) using replacement animation
- Work with VFX student to digitally remove seams around replacement parts
You can see that these two projects offer a lot in terms of using different materials and techniques, and together cover everything that I had originally aimed to test, including ample opportunities for both primary and secondary learning/research. Not only do these projects encourage the use of mixed media, which will be beneficial to me in seeing how different materials must work in tandem to produce a complete, singular outcome, but they also give me an excellent structure around which to plan my time effectively. Things must be completed in a specific order since the stages are dependent on one another.